Temple Timings : Open on all days. 6:00 am to 12:00 pm And 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
Tickets : There are no tickets. Entry is FREE.
What is Allowed : Camera: Allowed. No restrictions.
Washroom : There are Paid Public Toliets temple.
Cloak Room : There is no facility for keeping things. You can carry your backpack to keep your things with you.
Footwear stand : There is no footwear stand here. You can leave your footwear just before you enter the main complex.
Parking : Parking can be done around the temple streets. No specific parking spots.
Regular Hotels :
Hotel Saravana Bhavan – on Indira Gandhi Rd near MM hotel.
Hotel Saravana Bhavan – on the way to Vardaraja Perumal temple.
4 star property :
Hotel GRT – Dakshin – multicuisine restaurant. With good choice of sea food and tasty tandoori dishes.
- Best to carry an Umbrella /Cap / Hat: The place is all open air.This area being tropical weather, it tends to get very warm during the day and is very hot during the summers as there is practically no shade anywhere in the temple.
- Carry a pair of socks with you. Its useful specially when walking on hard granite surface.
- Carry your earphones / headphones
- Power bank / Battery pack for your phone
- Data network – you will have longer battery time if you are off the mobile data network. So when you are using the audio guide, you may want to get off the network.
It is good to refresh our memory on these basics. In South India, almost all of key monuments will have references to gods, goddesses and mythological tales. Knowing these will help one appreciate the work by artists.
Kanchipuram is a very ancient city in southern India having a history of more than 1600 years. It is a sacred place and is considered to be at par with the city of Kashi from North India.
It was the capital of the Pallavas, one of the three major dynasties to have ruled Tamil Nadu. It has been the seat of various religions and sects. While it is majorly a Hindu center now, at one point in time, Jainism also flourished here.